LZ-Adv: RE: ZShell Adv.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ-Adv: RE: ZShell Adv.

>I asked to subscribe so that I could learn about programming.  Since no
>one's talking, I'll start by asking.
>

>How is numerical (real number) data stored on the TI?
>Is there a way to use variables in a ZShell program?

In hex in the ram, files are formatted in a certian way, they begin with a
header, some bytes, and the data.  You can find the file format list on
ticalc.org, under texts, and it's called varstor.txt, or something like
that.

>Can I call TI-Basic programs from within a ZShell program?
>How about the other way around?

No, but if you want to write a ti-basic parser, more power to you!

>Is there any way to call ZShell programs from the home screen?

No...  Unless you're using an 83, and then you say 'send(9pgrmNAME', and
replace name with the name of the asm prog that you want to run. (See next
answer)

>How does the CUSTOM menu work?

Exactly how, I can't remember, but when you it to a command that you use often,
the ti-os writes into memory, a special place for the custom menu, an asm
command esentially exectues a the key press as if you had searched through
the menus to find the command.  This is how ZShell works, a backup of calc
ram was hex-edited to point to the zshell string.  When you press F1,
instead of displaying it on the screen, the mem pointed to by the menu,
which is ZShell tells it to do other wise.  In this way, I guess you could
hexedit it to point to your program, but to copy your program, people would
have to do a backup, whick kind of defeates the purpose of zshell.  At
ti-calc.org, there is a file called 'tihack.txt' which explains it all in
detail.

>Can I make my own ZShell menu program, and put it on ther in the F2
>place?
see last answer

>Why doesn't the ZShell program move around in memory, like all the other
>programs?

I didn't know that the other programs did...

>Why does hitting F1 in the CUSTOM menu run ZShell, instead of simply
>displaying "ZShell" on the Home screen?

I already explained this.

>Can I map my own custom characters to the "unprintable" characters (the
>ones that show up as filled in boxes)?  The cursive f that you use for
>functions would be especially useful.  If I managed to map it,  Is there
>any way to put it in on the CHAR menu?

ALL characters are already mapped in rom.  You can call rom routines that
display characters, and you can print characters that are not in the char
menu.  I believe that the script f (integral) is one of them.  No, you
can't change the char menu, it is set in rom.

>Hmm...  I think that's all for now.
>
>BTW, how many people are on this list???
>
>Thanx in advance for any info,

Did I help you out any?  Strangley enough, I've never written a real ZShell
program, I don't have time, but with all of this knowledge on the calc, I
should.  L8R.

                                                  -C.J.-

Unsolicited commercial e-mail to the poster of this message
will be proofread at $70/hr, minimum charge $150.  Submission
of such e-mail to this address will suffice as contractual assent
to the said charging schedule.