Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

At 02:22 PM 1/5/01 -0600, King, Paul wrote:
>Actually, I'm not sure how you could mistake it for either of those, but
>we'd like to introduce you to the new TI-83 Plus Silver Edition anyway.
>

>The TI-83 Plus Silver Edition
>
>Enjoy all the functionality of the TI-83 Plus with the added advantage of
>more memory and speed!  All in a new, totally cool silver metallic case.
>
>With over 1.5 megabytes of available Flash ROM and 24K of available RAM, the
>TI-83 Plus Silver Edition holds up to 94 APPS.  Now it's even easier to
>download and share APPS because TI-GRAPH LINK(tm) for Windows(r) is included
>with the TI-83 Plus Silver Edition.  The increased capacity and speed also
>helps users get the most out of any of the hundreds of programs written for
>and adapted to the TI-83 Plus.

Umm...who cares about Flash ROM?  As a **user** and **programmer** of a
graphing calculator, I'd rather have 1.5MB of RAM.  You guys need to cut
out about 75% of whatever bloat you are writing down there at TI and get on
the ball.  The last time I checked, you guys were still counting clock
cycles whenever you added a line of code to the ROM...are you still doing
that?  If you aren't, go back and optimize that code some more.

I'm sure you've received dozens of messages like this, but the people
**creating the calculators** _need_ to know what those who are going to use
them **want** in the calculator.  You really need to be targetting the
programmers who will be writing the programs for the calculators.  Ask them
what THEY want and then supply the demand.  That is how America works.  You
ask for what the demand is, you supply, you meet the demand, you succeed.
You don't ask for what the demand is, you supply a stupid product, no buys
it, your company dies a horrible death.  Right now TI is following path #2.

I am a programmer, I speak for a large part of the programming community
because what I say makes sense.  Programmers want more RAM to work
with...not ROM.  Most TI graphing calculator programmers are not sitting in
front of their computer 24/7 in order to work with Flash ROM software to
test their applications.  They would rather have 1.5MB of RAM.  Users would
like 1.5MB RAM because they want to be able to have lots of great programs
(some games too) on their calculators.  24K just doesn't cut it.  Give us
RAM not ROM!!!

           Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@crosswinds.net
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/