From: Stefano Bertolucci <sbertolucci@TIN.IT>
To: CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject: Suggestions for TI to improve their TI-89 / TI-92 calculators.
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 16:23:30 +0200
Comments: To: GRAPH-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion about some suggestions to send TI for a
future release of their Operating System.
I think that if enough users agree on the suggestions they will be taken in
serious consideration by the TI people.
I would like if  someone else could add to this list other points or simply
agree with the ones I list.
I don't want to overwhelm TI-Cares with a flood of messages, so if there is
a wide response from you, I'll try to collect all the answers and foreward
them in a single report to TI.

Here are some points I make :

1) The when(..) function works only with real numbers, not with lists.
This is in contradiction with the behaviour of the normal functions e.g.:
the function f(x) = when(x > 1, 1, 0) can be applied only to scalars.
If you try to apply it to a list it returns a scalar corresponding to f(x)
applied to the first number of the list.
So f(x) behaves differently to all the internal defined functions like
sin(x).
This can lead to misbehaviours in user defined functions.
If  I define something like g(x) = when(x>=0, sin(x), sin(-x)) I expect that
with lists it behaves like sin(x), not differently (don't bother if the
function is equivalent to sin(abs(x)), it is only an example).
This in my opinion should be fixed in a future release of the OS.

2) It would be nice to have the help text displayed on the bottom row even
when selecting a function from a menu.
The available functions are so many that it is difficult to remember the
exact syntax for all of them and it is impractical having to go to the
CATALOG menu to get some help.
The help row should be displayed also for the user defined functions
provided they have the help text in the first row after the function
definition as a comment as it already happens in the CATALOG F4 screen.
The help text should be displayed also in CUSTOM menus.
I think this should be easily obtained in a future release of the OS.

3) It would be nice in the CATALOG F3 menu, to have all the functions
defined in a FLASH package grouped for package instead than in alphabetical
order.

4) It would be nice to have the possibility of customizing the UNITS menu
with other unit types (e.g., I would like to add something like a currency
field with all the EURO conversions for the european community).
It would be also nice to group all the units definitions in a special folder
called UNITS. This could help to keep "cleaned" the MAIN folder.

5) It would be nice tho have a variable called something like PATH allowing
to group in special folders some used defined functions and using them
elsewhere without having to type the whole path.