Re: Ethical Use

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ethical Use

I suppose that's pretty true...but it blurs what you can call
"ethical use".  My math teacher has said, on several occasions, that
you really only understand the presented material when you can write
a computer program that will do it, and I believe that that's true --
when you can translate mathematical symbols into IF/THEN, DO/LOOP,
FOR/NEXT, et cetera (or, even better, CP, JR/JP, LD, LDIR, ADD, et
cetera =D ).  However, what about the student that does not
understand the material, but catches hold of the program that will
take a few inputs and crank out the answer?  That student is unlikely
to analyze the program code to see what it does (and therefore
understand the mathematics behind it).

I suppose "ethical use" would include creating programs to do certain
mathematical functions that cannot be done with a single command on a
TI calculator, but to spread the use of such programs to those that
do not understand the mathematical procedure that the program cranks
through would be unethical, as it prohibits the "in-the-dark" student
from learning what's really going on.   A simple answer would be to
restrict the dissimination of the program to those that understand
the material, but that's nearly impossible to do -- if you've ever
witnessed the spread of a program throughout a school, you'll know
what I mean.  For example, I came in with SQRXZ loaded on to my
calculator, and transferred it to somebody who was interested in
TI-83 assembly programming but was unfortunate to have a
GRAPH-LINK...within two days 95% of the school had it.  And that's
only a game.  Think of what would happen with a program that
(*gasp!*) solves a particularly difficult mathematics construct.

The other simple answer would be to prohibit program creation of any
type whatsoever and require that students clear the calculator memory
on a regular basis, but that's equally futile due to the programs out
there that create a fake mem-clear and hide the programs.  Besides,
if that was to be done in the United States, it'd be, in a way,
stifling Constitutional rights (which I know that minors technically
only have a subset of, but those kinds of debates can go on
forever...)

So there's not much one can really do, but leave it up to the
student.  If the student understands the material and uses a program
to crank through the calculation, it's probably all right.  If they
don't understand the material but use a program anyway, they're not
hurting the class -- only themselves.

Wow, that didn't make any sense, did it? =D