From: the $al-Man [mailto:alien-angel@THE-PENTAGON.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 7:15 PM
To: CALC-TI@LISTS.PPP.TI.COM
Subject: hp functions on ti-89 - turning off auto simplify

hi...before i decided to buy my ti89, i look around a lot, and was really
impressed by the hp49g - you can download and use the emulator legally from
hp's
site. it's incredibly slow (i think 4Mhz, compared to 10 or twelve for the
ti, i
think), and it's horribly difficult to use (at lesat without the manual - i
managed to figure out how to use the ti89 in about 2-3 days, without the
manual,
but most of the hp49g is still a mystery to me after several weeks - the
actual
manuals are several thousand pages i think). But man does it have some cool
functions! check out the list of commands at
http://www.hp.com/calculators/techsupport/manuals/49g/english/aug/commands-a
.pdf
 - wow. i especially like the ones that changes expressions, like converting
all
trig funcitons to tan's, or arcsins etc, or converting all e^(x)*e^(y) into
e^(x+y)...and it's loaded with math functions that i've never heard of (the
ti
has quite a few of these too, but not nearly as many, and they're probably
all
stuff i'll cover in college). I've been writing progs in ti-basic that
emulate
some of the hp functions, but can only do the simple ones - is there anyone
out
there who can do/has done the others? i don't really think it'll work,
because
of the damn auto simplification (can't this be turned off?? on the hp you
can
change it a bit! i hate it!! i write complicated prgrams, and that
(#*&(*&ing
simplification screws everything up. it stars out screewing with the
arguments,
then screws the return values. is there any assembly directive to disable
it? i
know it can be done - the built in functions like factor() and d() suspend
it -
factor(8) returns 2^3, not 8).

and everytime i do a maclaurin expansion, the terms are all in reverse
order...damn...i wan't ascending powers of x, not descending...
...from the aspiring geek, the $al-Man
(AKA NineTurningMirrors, AKA ByteChild)
alien-angel@the-pentagon.com - smoke_jaguar@email.com
ICQ #: 58895095  -  http://members.nbci.com/ZeroMaster/
KEYBOARD PLAQUE - The disgusting buildup of dirt and crud found on
computer keyboards.