Re: ti89: questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti89: questions

Tom Lake wrote:

> Laurent Deniau <Laurent.Deniau@cern.ch> wrote in message
> 36FF4BEC.9B8BA71F@cern.ch">news:36FF4BEC.9B8BA71F@cern.ch...
> > Sorry, but I can't find out the answers to these questions in the
> manual...
> >
> > 1) How do you modify and/or return a local variable or parameter of a
> > sub-program (I don't want to use a global variable) ?
> >
> > printstr()
> > Prgm
> > Local getname, name
> > Define getname(name)=Prgm
> >  Request "file name",name
> >  Return name     (Meaningless for program)
> >  EndPrgm
> > getname()->name  (Forbidden for programs)
> > EndPrgm
>
> You can't use name as both a parameter and a local variable.  If you want to
> pass name to the sub, use it in the parentheses as above.  Local variables
> can't be modified permanently.  They cease to exist after the program ends.
>
> Tom Lake
> ICQ #25589135

I know what is a local variable... My question is:

How do I return a value from a program ? I can't use a function since I
need to get the value from the user (needs I/O) and the TI basic doesn't
authorise to do I/O inside functions (strange limitation). I can't use
program since I need to return a value. For common language, you can either
modify a parameter or return a value (Basic) or both (Pascal, C). This is
essential for the completeness of the language !

The limitation of I/O inside functions forbids the second case. Then I need
a way to solve the first case. Then again:

How do you modify a parameter of a program ?

Thanks,

        Laurent.

--
[ Deniau Laurent -- Numerical Analysis and Signal Processing ]
[    CERN -- The European Laboratory for Particle Physics    ]