Re: Flash ROM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flash ROM

I'm not sure exactly how thos works in the TI calcs but in most systems with
flash rom, the entire rom is in flash.

There's not much danger of losing it if you dont have a cable.  Flash rom is
the most stable storage known.  Most systems write protect it except when
it's being upgraded.  They do that in such a way that it is very unlikely to
happen any other way.

It is possible to ruin the rom if an upgrade is aborted.  A lot of systems
today have some kind of protection from that, but I've ruined a computer
when there was a bug in the rom upgrade that caused it to fail in the rom
version I aleady had.  This was in a Compaq laptop.  Fortunatly, Compaq
replaced the motherboard even though it was out of warranty.  How many
companies would have done that!

Barry