Re: Another Factoring Problem that will not work on the TI-89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another Factoring Problem that will not work on the TI-89

In article <#mCiiuMT#GA.237@upnetnews05>,
          pmcginn@email.msn.com ("Patrick McGinn") wrote:

] > On my TI-89 factor(49-36*d^2) gives me -851
] >On my HP48GX it gives me -((6*D-7)*(6*D+7))
] >why are they different?  SOME problems do factor correctly for me on the
] >TI-89....
] >Help!  How do I fix my TI-89....  ??  Please e-mail me..
] >capasso@cyberenet.net
]
] OK, once again, USE THE PARANTHESIS!!!

Sorry, this has nothing at all to do with parentheses.  His factoring is
failing because he already has a value stored in the variable d, so the
calculator is evaluating the expression using the value of d it knows abaout.
It has nothing to factorize.

] "Oh man, that guy isn't using enough parantheses!"

Yeah, right!

Dick

Dick Smith                                           dick@risctex.demon.co.uk
Acorn Risc PC                                  http://www.risctex.demon.co.uk