Re: TI 89 and integrals

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI 89 and integrals

>Sometimes you can use tcollect or a few other commands to reform an
>answer given by the 89/92, but there is no single guaranteed way to do it.
>Basically the 92 calculates these things in a completely different manner
>than we do on paper.  So strange but equivalent answers do occur often with
>complicated equations.
>>Yeah, this is really wierd...
>>I tried a lot of things, and it did not work... And the most interesting
>>thing, I guess, is that id you differentiate the thing it outputs you get
>>another wierd thing... Maybe it is because of the way the trig-identities
>>are defined in the calc?
>>>I've found that sometimes, the TI-89 gives absurd answers that are
>>>right.  For example, if I take the integral of (tan x)^6*(sec x)^2 the
>>>answer should be 1/7*(tan x)^7 However, the calculator pumps out some
>>>long and complex value.  Nevertheless, it is equivilent to the answer.
>>>Does anyone know how to get the condenced value?  And no, tCollect
>>>didn't do it.Hmm.

The problem is that the 89 doesnt know what sec IS.  How did you enter your
equation, did you use 1/cos for sec or did u have a sec function defined?
either way, the calculator used the power and chain rules (to integrate
cos(x)^-1) instead of the trig identities, because it doesnt understand
sec(x), and this is what caused you to get the funny answer.

--
Bill Risher        Sparr      UIN:1952775    ._, . . .
Lorenai #44                   FON:9316484164 |_) o | |