Re: x=@n3*PI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: x=@n3*PI

In article <CALC-TI%1999012514320283@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>,
          nesterd@BLUFFTON.EDU ("Nester, Darryl") wrote:

[snip]

] Except that "n" is an ordinary TI-89/92 variable, and might have been
] assigned some value.

Yes, of course, I had overlooked that point.

[another snip]

] What about the number after "@n"?

[and again]

] If you are trying to solve a system of equations for ordered pairs
] (x,y), and you see the solutions
]    x = 2 n pi + 0.1
] and
]    y = 2 n pi - 0.3
] it would be very easy to think that the solutions to the system are
]    (x,y) = (2 n pi + 0.1, 2 n pi - 0.3)
] for an arbitrary integer n.  However, the correct interpretation would be
] that the solutions are
]    (x,y) = (2 n pi + 0.1, 2 m pi - 0.3)
] for two (potentially different) arbitrary integers m and n.  The numbers
] after "@n" make it evident that these integers can be different.

Well, I had realized that the arbitrary integers could (and probably might
be) different; I guess I just wanted a more elegant way than that currently
implemented, such as the time honoured use of "m" and "n" in such situations.
I had overlooked the fact that "n" (and "m" as well of course) might well be
defined already by the user, and although I take your points entirely, I'm
still left with the feeling that a more elegant solution exists.

Dick

Dick Smith                                           dick@risctex.demon.co.uk
Acorn Risc PC                                  http://www.risctex.demon.co.uk