Re: TI-83 Rom

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-83 Rom

This is why I think you can't use the ROMs, but these are not facts,
morelike educated guesses...:

Same reason that you can't copy MSWord or any other application,
because they have the copyright for it. You can only use the software
if you buy a "license" from the owner (i.e. a calc) just like any
other software. If they give it away, no more copyright, no more
licenses, no more money for the software because others will be able
to use it and sell it with different hardware cheaper... I think.

This is my opinion on using ROMS:

I agree that it's probably pretty harmless to have ROM images going
around on the net as they aren't very usefull, I mean you need a
computer to use them!!! that kinda defeats the porpose of using a
calculator since you can do nearly anything better with computer
software... The only thing that I know rom images are really used for
is testing ASM progs. It would be a real bitch to have to send to the
calc for testing every time...

You should be able to decide what calc you need/want from the specs at
www.ti.com or www.ticalc.org or going to www.dejanews.com and reading
all the messages on these newsgroups about "Wich calc should I buy?"
If there are features you absolutely need and you're not sure if the
calcs have them, you can even download the manuals.

Philipp Keller

PS: Without wanting to start another war, check out the 86 too is you
wanna get the 85, more features, almost as cheap. And the 83 plus
instead of the 83... I don't know about other people, but I got pissed
off when the 83 come out right after I bought the 82.

Justin Erikson <jerikson@goldrvr.island.net.nospam> wrote in message
78e54m$r19$1@frasier.island.net">news:78e54m$r19$1@frasier.island.net...
>Why would this be illegal, the sole purpose of the TI-83 is to be a
portable
>computer.  I only want to test it before I decide on buying an 83 or
an 85.
>What good is a TI-83 that is not portable?
>
>You'd think that Texas Instruments would want to put them on their
site as a
>way of demonstrating their use.
>
>-Justin
>justin_100482@hotmail.com