Re: Ti-86 Bug?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti-86 Bug?

How could a calculator be powerfull enough to not make an error? You
can always take more digits, but sooner or later you're gonna have to
round the number before the calc runs out of memory. And remember, the
calc remembers more digits than it displays, so that, most of the
time, there won't be much of an error.

A question: Does how big this "round-off error" is depend on the
Tolerance setting? So that, if you need more precision, you can just
reduce the tolerance? Anyway, I think that 13 digits is plenty of
precision for me, I'm not trying to send men to the moon with my calc.
I'd experiment but I hear you can crash your calc by messing around
with that, I don't want to have to resend all of my progs.

STL137 <stl137@aol.com> wrote
>This is a well-known problem: round-off error. Not a bug, because the
>calculator isn't powerful enough to work with exact figures.

Follow-Ups: References: