Re: Help buying a calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help buying a calculator

<<So are you saying buy a new calc every year? >>
One only needs three calculators. The TI-30, the TI-85 (or 86), and the TI-92+.
<<   I think a graphing
calc is a HUGE aid in learning about functions.  All the Algebra
classes I've seem around here require a graphing calc.>>
I didn't even know that graphing calculators existed when I took Algebra I. And
I seem to be reasonably competent in math (ha ha ha).
<<  And a calc
that you can check your answers with, (I had a 92 through calc I, II
and III, ODE's and PDE's) can be a huge aid in checking answers and
exploring the subject.>>
I said that 92s were fine after the basics of integration and differentiation
were learned. Certainly you'd want a 92 in Calc II and III, and definitely when
learning ODEs and PDEs.
<<If someone is going to cheat, they will do it, regardless of if they
do it with their calc, or another means.  And if you are going to do
the work on the calc, why bother to take the course? >>
I didn't say cheat ever. I meant the distression problem of "calculator
stupidity" - not being able to do something without a calculator. Which is bad.
And you'd be surprised how many people take courses and then use calculators to
do the work. Sad.
<<I'd say get the best calc you can afford up to and including the 89,
and if standardized tests aren't an issue, get a 92 and throw in a
plus module.>>
I still say that TI-30s should be used up to and including Algebra I. Then
TI-85s up to and including Trigonometry and further Algebra (SPARINGLY in
further algebra, now). And TI-92s once the basics of calculus have been learned
(and still sparingly).

-*---*-------
S.T.L.  ==> STL137@aol.com <==  My quotes page is at:  http://quote.cjb.net
~~~ My main website is at:  http://137.tsx.org ~~~
If you see a message of mine posted on two newsgroups, then it is because I
have replied to a crossposted message. I *never* crosspost of my own accord!
I block all unapproved E-mail. If you wish to talk to me, post to alt.test.9
with the subject "Moo" and your E-mail address in the body. I will allow you
as soon as I sign on next.
"This universe is not hostile, or yet is it friendly. It is simply
indifferent" - John H. Holmes, The Sensible Man's View of Religion

Follow-Ups: References: