Re: List Problems

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: List Problems

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Bill Risher wrote:

> >this occurrs because it is against internet standards to change the
> >"Reply-To" field or the "From" field of who sent the email message.
> >Therefore when you hit Reply, you are going to Reply who sent the
> >original message, because the list software can't change it.
> >> I'd like it if when I reply to a message that it would actually go to the
> >> list and not to the individual who wrote the message I am trying to
> >> reply to.
>
> And what internet standards might this come from?

they are called the RFC's

> I belong to at least 10 mailing lists, and of those, only TWO dont change
> the reply-to field of messages.  It's really annoying, and never mentioned
> in any netiquette guide I've ever read...

netiquette guide, that's funny.  anywayk, the RFC's aren't a netiquette
guide, they are like internet laws, and are going to look like any crappy
government document, poorly written.

the one you will be looking for is RFC 822 at:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html

well actually, i just checked rfc822 and it talks about text
teleconferencing groups (like this one i assume), and that they can input
their service address in the Reply-To field.  So they are allowed to.

a>
--
Aaron.Hawley@uvm.edu -> http://www.uvm.edu/~ashawley
University of Vermont 802.656.7396