Re: Underestimated stats

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Underestimated stats

Dick Smith wrote in message <19990202.233216.61@risctex.demon.co.uk>...

>Well, I think that your 83 is correct but your hand calculation has gone a
>bit awry.:-)  Sorry!  Let's see if I can set it out:

Your calculations are correct! However, after thinking about the problem, I
put the following computational formula into a short program:

sqrt((Ex^2 - (((Ex)^2)/n))/n)   (you can figure the rest of the details out)

The program gives me both the Var and SD at the same time. The numbers came
up as, 1.667 (for the variance), and a sample standard deviation 1.291
(forgot to sqr the first time). Needless to say, I am not one to argue over
mathematics.

Thanks for the info.

JC