Re: Request for Assistance on Logs/Anti-LOGS

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Request for Assistance on Logs/Anti-LOGS

This is how I learned logarithms:
a^b=c
if a and c are known, and you want b, you do
log (base a) c

Okay, so maybe that's not strictly an inverse but you know what I mean.
It's the backwards of the more common operation.  Anybody aware of that
definition should not have to ask how to find the antilog.  In a similar
fashion,

sin a = b
arcsin b = a

Anybody aware of that definition would not have to ask how to find the
inverse of the arcsin.  It was just an analogy, albeit a poor one.

>The inverse of the arcsin (another archaic term which I nevertheless think
>is no more confusing than writing "inverse sine" as something that looks
>like "sin^(-1)") function is the sine function. I don't see how this is
like
>asking what is an antilog.
>
>I reiterate:
>
>> >Since y=log x and x=10^y are different representations of the SAME
>> functions
>> >(using the definition of log) and
>> >since x=10^y and y=10^x are INVERSE functions,
>> >then y=log x and y=10^x are inverses of each other,
>> >so antilog(x)=10^x
>
>By the way, the original question was, "What is an antilog?" and "How do I
>find it on my TI?". The above 6 lines answer that question logically, if
you
>consider another line I wrote:
>
>"antilogs would be more appropriately called inverse logs"
>
>MY question is, "What current textbook is still calling exponential
>functions antilogs??"

And log could also be called inverse-10^ or anti-10^.  I've never seen
"antilog" in print except for people asking how to do it.