Re: PLANES and other 3D equations

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PLANES and other 3D equations

I have not really worked with the 3-D graphing capability of the TI-89 or TI-92
(those graphs always looked too ugly to me). However, I wonder if you could
graph multiple planes by using the trick you can use with 2-D graphing to graph
several lines with the same command -- namely, using a list for a coefficient.

If that feature is not implemented, you could possibly still manage to jam
together two equations by multiplying them together. This is the basis behind
the "meatball sandwich equation" I posted here about four years ago:

        y^6 + x^4 * y^2 + 2 x^2 * y^4 + 4 x^2 = x^4 + 6 x^2 y^2 + y^4

Try graphing this in two dimensions (HINT: first use the TI-89 or TI-92 to
do some re-arranging and factoring).

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623