Re: Question about TI-83+

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question about TI-83+

Vincent Fiduccia wrote:

> First, you're assuming it's targeted at a general-audience;  wrong.  The iMac
> is targeted for first-time newbies who want to screw around on the net and
> write letters to their grand kids.  Even so, for $1199 plus whatever
> converters you may need(adb, scsi, serial, each about $50) you can get a
> 333MHz computer with a nice screen that is completely usable for almost
> anyone's needs.  If you need a floppy, get one;  if you don't you save $50 or
> so.  Besides changing the monitor, an iMac and the appropriate add-ons can do
> almost anything an older beige G3 could.  If it can't do what you want, get a
> G3 minitower starting @ $1599.  Don't bias the list with your ignorance;  if
> you want to argue the iMac is useless at least use FACTS and not opinions,
> and do it on a list which it would be vaguely on topic.  I wouldn't buy one
> either, but I could work just as well with one(other than trying to read
> 1024x768 on a 15") than my Yosemite tower.  If TI would ever get off their
> asses there would be a USB GraphLink and they would update the 83 software
> once in a while(there's finally a decent version for 86/89/92/70).  Until
> then  a serial converter and the current mediocre software works well enough.

I know alot of stuff about iMacs unfortunately because my friends are
hard to
convince to do something and so I needed to know at least some facts
about iMacs
in order to convince them not to buy them. my biggest problem with iMacs
is that
they cost more then they should, as all macs do, that is why I am
against Macs
alltogether, I bought a PII350, 96megs SDRAM, 8.4gig HD,
17"monitor@1280x1024x65K
resolution with a 5x DVD and a 8meg video accelerator (I'm not sure of
the brand
'cuz I lost the sheet with the specs a month ago and it doesn't say
anywhere that
I cared to look) AND the thing has a disk drive, AND a printer port, for
only
$1150 from some noname company in california.  The iMac stats are
nothing compared
to that and they cost as much or actually the real shitty one's price
has been
sropped to lik $899 or something.  My PC can do much more than any iMac
and
probably most G3s which I saw similar stats exept with 128megs of ram
for around
$2000!! Now do you see my point? And I was only bringing it up to make a
small
point but I guess people always like to argue that point with me.

> Also, Re: the bundle/don't bundle the Graphlink (non) issue:  Let's look at 3
> customers, A, B, and C.  A is a computer illiterate student, B is a normal
> computer user, and C is a Yosemite G3 or iMac user.  A doesn't want to spend
> $30 for a cable he doesn't need(if the cable was bundled the price of all the
> calcs would obviously go up the same amount, they're not going to give them
> away for free).  B probably wants the cable, and C either wants a USB version
> of the cable or doesn't want it at all.  How do we please all these people?
> By selling the calc and cable separately.  That way no one wastes money on
> cables they don't need(the worst case would be the iMac user because he gets
> a serial cable and still has to buy the USB one), and no one looses anything
> by having to go through the tremendous effort of moving 5 feet over to pick
> up a box with the GraphLink they need in it.  Now what is wrong with that?
> Who looses if it's bundled?(A and C)  Who loses if it isn't(nobody, except
> the *huge* waste of energy on B's part)

OK, I would like to point out that the whole time I have been arguing
for the
TI-83PLUS to be sold with a GraphLink cable because I understand that
some people
wouldn't care to have one.  If A is computer illiterate then he should
get a
regular 83, not a plus because when is he ever going to upgrade it or
fill up
184K? B would want it because it's easier.  And since there is no cord
for USB
port connections then wouldn't C also want it, then all he has to buy is
the
converter.  And it is a *huge* waste of energy, at least for someone in
an area
such as where I am. No stores carry the GraphLink cables yet they all
carry the
Calculators themselves, and probably will soon get 83PLUSSes. If I want
to get
both I will first have to go to a store and buy an 83PLUS and then I
will have to
order a GraphLink cable seperately online or something and then wait for
it to
arrive, that's an aweful waste of time.

    --The Rabid_Stick