Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

No flames, because you're right.  There's a guy in the discussion groups at
ti.com who contantly reminds us of this.  Something about the 89 using BCD
numbers instead of binary, which makes it slower.  I don't quite understand
it all but it sounds reasonable.  The fun thing is, this guy thinks he can
convince TI to rewrite the 89/92 ROM from the ground up to correct this
"flaw".
The new HP should be interesting.  All the HP48 users are going to be
gloating that HP beat the TI-89, and the 89 will still be selling more due
to TI's dominance in schools.  I think I'm going to call it the iMac of
calculators - people will make a big deal of it when it comes out, then
they'll go right back to buying the competition's product.  :)

>I have also figured out why the HP-48GX appears to be faster than a ti-89.
>What it is that although the HP only runs at 4Mhz, and the ti89 at 10Mhz,
>the 89's number crunching algorithms aren't all that fast and optimized.
The