Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

>Whew!  I guess you write on paper in a much different manner than me.

Yes, but I wanted to be absolutely clear about the method.  It involves about
10 seconds of actual working (if that)

>I think I like the ti's better, to calculate the same integral, I just
>type int(e^x,x,0,1) where int is the integral symbol.

Well, the HP gives you that option, but what if you forget whether the limits
go before or after the variable?  if the variable of integration goes before or
after the integrand?  Instead of memorizing some arbitrary order, you can write
it in your calc just as you would on paper.

>I must admit that the TI doesn't give me the options of going through
>all the options you describe, but I'm not sure I would miss those
>gyrations.

I wouldn't exactly call an intuitive input method "gyrations"

>And also with the TI, I don't have to go through all the gyrations to
>calculate an indefinite integral symbolically either, for example, to
>get the integral of e^x, I just type int(e^x,x) and press enter.

As you would on the HP with add on programs: Erable, Alg48, etc.

>The TI requires none of the  8 step process the HP requires, including
>entering 0 and the variable to integrate wrt, and later removing them
>by converting the expression to an object, and using the drpn command
>whatever that is.

You really ought to research your statements before you make them.  I have used
a TI-82 for longer than I've used my HP, and I can use a TI-89 as proficiently
as any other TI-89 user.  I wouldn't think of posting something that I don't
know about firsthand.

In order to indefinitely integrate, you simply integrate with 0 or 1 as the
lower limit and the variable of integration as the upper limit.  Just like you
learned in your calculus book.

And in order to quell any further arguments, while we are on the topic of
indefinite integration, the TI-89 will integrate more expressions than the HP48
with programs.  However, the HP48 (with erable, a c.a.s.)  will integrate
certain expressions that the 89/92 will not integrate: for instance,

S (1 + 2*X^2)*(e^(X^2))dX

You must keep in mind that the capabilities of the HP48 are 13 years old.  A
TI-89 is 1 year old (longer if you count it's 92 incarnation).  I simply wait
to see HP's new calculator, and use my HP48 until then.

Jeremy