Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ti-86 vs. ti-89

Actually, I'll be waiting till about September anyway, because my dad is a
university professor, and he intends to order bulk amount for his classes
(40), so i will get them at 50 dollars cheaper than a store. (Bulk
Educational Pricing). So if HP comes out with a better calc, i'll buy that.
My dad has a 48-S calc and he bought it for $150 in 1990, and it is STILL
better than my TI-86 which i bought in November 1998. He told me to buy an
HP but i didn't listen.

P.S. I was going to get a G+ anyways

Maybe he does know something after all.................., nah, its just not
possible

Indifference

Jemfinch02 wrote in message <19990412003617.14221.00001795@ng143.aol.com>...
>>I know i'll get flamed for this, but I'm debating wether to upgrade my
>>ti86($110) to a ti89($145) or an HP-48G($90)
>>A 48G is cheaper than a ti86, it has built in symbolic derivative and
>>integrals. It also has about 30KB of formulas preprogrammed in. Besides,
the
>>HP 48-G processor is faster than the 89 processor
>
><disclaimer>
>
>Being a die-hard HP user, I'll try my hardest to be unbiased here.
>
>With that said, I would say to wait until the summer to decide (if you have
>that choice).  HP has (almost) announced the release in France of a new HP
>graphic calculator in August.  Being an American company, one would assume
that
>the new calculator will be released in the US sometime in July or maybe
even
>June.  If possible, you could wait until then and buy the new HP calculator
><enter bias> which is sure to be better than the TI-89 or TI-92 considering
it
>took TI 12 years to catch up to the HP48 (which has remained practically
>unaltered since 1986) <ok, done with bias for the moment>
>
>Now, about the HP48.  You don't want an HP48G.  If anything, buy a G+, or
>really, a GX.  Or you could buy a G with an internal memory enhancement
from
>Cynox (www.cynox.de), an inexpensive German provider of quality HP memory
stuff
>(cards/internal upgrades).  For about $155 (american) or 290 DM (deutsch
marks)
>you can get a HP48G with an internal memory upgrade to 1.2 mb (which is a
great
>amount)
>
>The reason I say that you do not want a G is because with only 32k of ram,
you
>will not be able to run the good algebra libraries (take a look at the
>mathematics/symbolic libraries at  www.hpcalc.org to see what I mean.
Erable,
>the best, is a MINIMUM of 90k or so)
>
>Ok.  Now.  If you have to buy a calculator now (like for exams or something
>important) , I would have to tell you to buy the TI-89.  It's capabilities
will
>be far more useful to you (integration, the bane of all C.A.S., is done
better
>on the TI-89.  I have done contests.  Trigonometric integrations are done
>better on the TI-89 because the primary integration method is a table,
rather
>than Erable's partial implementation of the Risch Algorithm)  Also, if you
have
>to have the calculator now, you won't have as steep a learning curve with
the
>TI-89 as you would with the HP48.
>
>And, as a final minor correction, the HP48 is not faster than the TI-89.
The
>processor that runs the TI-89 is (I believe) 10mhz.  The processor in the
HP48
>is only 4mhz.  Some processes are streamlined on the HP and therefore
perform
>better than the TI-89 <enter more bias> primarily because the people who
>programmed the HP I guess cared more <exit bias>
>
>Anyway, good luck in your calculator buying.  Just to reiterate what I said
>earlier, your best bet IMHO is to wait and see what marvelous wonder HP
will
>release this summer.
>
>Jeremy
>
>P.S.  I just made the conversion from TI to HP about a year and half ago.
Once