TI89 very slow !!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI89 very slow !!!

I just got a TI89 and I wanted to program a FFT algorithm. But first I did some
tests on loops, lists and matrices and I found that the TI89 is rather slow:

fct1(n)
Func
Local i
For i,1,n
EndFor
EndFunc

fct1(10000) takes 85 sec to display 10001 and I find this rather slow (around
117 loops per second) for a single loop doing nothing !!! Since the processor
is
a 32 bits RISC at 10Mhz, it means it takes 85000 cycles to do one single loop !
With so many cycles, their basic-like langage should be able to inverse a 4x4
matrix !

fct2(n)
Func
Local i,t
For i,1,n
i->t
EndFor
EndFunc

fct2(10000) takes 140 sec to display 10000. Why does TI provide this basic-like
langage if it is impossible to use ? How engineers can write so bad code ? Even
the HP48 with its 4 bits saturn processor goes faster !

And about memory:
seq(t,t,1,1000) takes 8 sec to display the list of {1 2 ... 1000}
and is it incredibly slow to delete and copy lists of 1000 elements.

seq(t,t,1,1000)->t1
seq(t,t,1,2000)->t2
seq(t,t,1,3000)->t3
seq(t,t,1,4000)->t4
seq(t,t,1,5000)->t5
seq(t,t,1,10000)->t10

size of t1 is 3749 bytes
size of t2 is 7749 bytes
size of t3 is 11749 bytes
size of t4 is 15749 bytes
size of t5 is 19749 bytes
size of t10 gets out of memory but the Memory screen says that I still have
197348 bytes free !!! (I had deleted t1-5 before trying t10 and the size of t10
should be 39749 bytes.)

Your opinion ?

--
[ Deniau Laurent -- Numerical Analysis and Signal Processing ]
[    CERN -- The European Laboratory for Particle Physics    ]