Re: Programming Challenge

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Programming Challenge

STL137 <stl137@aol.com> wrote in article
<19980927130127.23610.00002751@ng96.aol.com>...

> :-D
> Now that PRIME5's been released on Ticalc.org, I challenge the world to
> optimize it, because I don't think it can be done. :-D I've plain run out
of
> ideas to speed it up. And there don't seem to be any better algorithms
that I
> can implement on the TI-85 (Fermat's factorization method seems to be too
> slow). So Wheel Factorization mod 210 seems to be my only choice... Well,
> E-mail me if you manage to do so. :-)
> STL
>
> By the way, I just got a TI-92+. The factor( command on it works for my
> standard test number in about 4 SECONDS. (Compared to PRIME5's 7
minutes.) I
> want that code soooo much! But PRIME5 remains the best factorization
program
> for the TI-85. (And probably the TI-86, I believe it can run on there
too.)

Hi. this is my first visit to this group, and I don't own a ti (yet ;-).
Forgive me my ignorance, but what are the 'rules' since the speed is so
low. I read in the doc's that prime5 took about 7 minutes to factor the
number 17439280249 into 55511*314159, and my hp48gx with alg48 installed
does the same job in 1,8 seconds (does anyone know the time a ti92 uses?).
So, now I wonder: is the ti 85 that much slower than the hp, or is it
because of basic programming or something else?

Christian

--
Christian Meland
Research Scientist, PFI