Re: HELP!! (implied multiplication)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP!! (implied multiplication)

Both TI and HP have made poor choices in this. Expressions such as 10/2x
should be undefined because it is ambiguous. Neither TI nor HP seem to have
had talented people in numerical analysis when they put their software
together, and hence this sort of problem occurs frequently, due in large part
to the desire of programers for a "friendly" calculator. It is a shame, since
both companies produce devices that should be an adjunct to teaching:
something that instructors ought to  able to reference in general without
having to check the
specifics themselves.  This is just the tip of the iceberg. When one gets into
the algorithms involved in integration, differential equations, linear
algebra, etc. the situation is bad indeed. There is no excuse for this, since
the calculators  have the capacity to do things both correctly and faster..

--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: bwheeler@echip.com)
        ECHIP, Inc.