Interesting thread!(TI-89 virtue email)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Interesting thread!(TI-89 virtue email)

I just thought I'd give my calc 1 teacher's viewpoint on math and
technology:

Basicly, it has been shown that a large portion of americans do not use
algebra, though they were taughtit.  An even larger portion does not use
calculus.

So why is it taught?  Why not only require it for those areas that
people will be using it in?

His response, which I now agree with, is that it teaches problem solving
skills.

Nearly every problem in our life can be kept as a huge barier to our
progress, or can be broken down into a lot of smaller barriers.  Just
like calc can be broken down to very small, understandable equations.
Math teaches us to think analyitcally when we have a problem.

Society has simply chosen math as the way to teach problem solving.  We
could be taught the same principles from basket weaving, programming,
manufacturing, advanced carpet laying 402 etc.
But math has been studyed, has progressed far enough, and is generally
useful enough that it has been chosen to do the job.  Furthermore, if
you understand a logical subject like math, you can understand
technology better.  "Garbage in, garbage out"

Technology helps us solve problems.  it is helpful to be able to know
1) What technology is available
2) how to use the technology available
3) the limits of our technology

So he's told us he'll be teaching with a ti-86.  We can use whatever we
want, but we will have to learn it without help.

-Adam