Re: Differences between 92 and 89?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Stephen M. Sebeny wrote:

> Hello,
>    I currently have the TI-83, and have considered upgrading. I have a few
> questions reguarding the differences between the 92 and 89...
>
> 1. I see the 89 has an increased screen resolution over the 83, the 83
> screen holds 16 characters per row with 8 rows. Does the 89 fit more
> characters on the screen, or just have a higher resolution?

More characters.  Like the 85 and the 92.

> > 2. Both the TI-92+ and TI-89 are listed as having 188K RAM and 384K Flash
> ROM. Whats up with the flash rom, is that where you can store programs?
> What is the total storage space as far as where I can put programs, 188K,
> 384K, or 572K???

I think 188k to play with, the Flash rom is for long term archiving.

> 3. The TI-92 Plus Module (plugs in I guess) to a normal TI-92 to upgrade it
> to a TI-92+ and expand memory. Can you put a TI-92 Plus Module into a
> TI-92+ calculator and expander the memory further, or into a TI-89
> calculator?

No.  The 92+ is simply a 92 with a plus module preinstalled.  An 89 has
no plus module port.

> 4. Do programs written on a TI-83 for a TI-83 work on the TI-92, TI-92+,
> and TI-89? Or programs for the 92 work on the 89?

No.  But an emulator may emerge (like on the 86) for 83 programs on the
92/89, but as of now no.  The 89 will run 92 programs, and vis-vesa.

> 5. Can the TI-89 connect to a TI-83 to transfer programs? A 92 or 92+ to an
> 83? Or an 89 to a 92?

No.

> 6. There is a product out there right now called the Memory Expander II.
> Right now there are no drivers for it for use on the TI-83, are there any
> for the 92, 92+, and 89?

Somebody will have to take the time to write them.  There are none now,
and I don't know if there will ever be.

> 7. I currently have a TI-Graph Link I use to transfer programs from my
> Macintosh to my TI-83, will this still work with a 89, 92, 92+?

Should work just fine.  Look on TI's site for the free graphlink program
download.  You may be able to use a the 92 version if the 89 version
hasn't been released yet.

> 8. Anything else I should be concerned with or aware of about getting a 89
> or 92?

Price.  Also the 92 is not allowed on the SAT/ACT.  The 89 might.  The
92 is also bulky, won't fit into your pocket like the 83.

> 9. Any1 interested in buying my used 83?

I might be looking for a 2nd hand 83 for stats soon.  It depends on how
the 86 with adv. stats works out.  If it has no scratches on the screen,
and the manual inlc. I may be interested.

BTW, anybody know if the 85, 86, or 86 w/adv. stats program can do a
normal probability plot?

Todd

--

Spam filters in place.  If you are accidently blocked, remove nospam.