Mario 86 Editor Glitch

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mario 86 Editor Glitch

    I've been using the Mario 86 level editor for a few weeks now, and it's
great. But there's an interesting and fairly harmless (fairly harmless
because you could end up deleting part of your level by accident) glitch
I've found.
    Here's my scenario:I've finished level 1  and have started a level 2.
For some reason I want to go back to level 1 and edit the end part of the
level (where the gate would be).
    By random chance I needed to remove a few columns. When I did that, the
first part of the second level was visible at the end of my level, almost as
if the two were side by side! (in memory...)
    I scrolled over and found that I could see my entire second level. But
if I tested my first level and went to the end, I couldn't get to the part
that was supposed to be the 'second' level.
    In the editor, the size of my level, when I 'merge' the 2 levels, does
not change. This would explain why I can't get to that part when I get to
the 'official' end of my first level.

    Another interesting 'glitch'. I accidentally hit the password key (isn't
it F2?) in Ashell and had typed in a random password (so that I couldn't get
back in) and had to take my batteries out. My memory was erased. I had to
get all my programs back from a friend of mine (who had the Mario 86
editor).

    This next sentence is important:He had an earlier version of my levels
and did not have a second level on his calculator.
    I went back to editing and  did the 'merge levels' trick and found that
part of one of my *later* levels was *still* there somehow. That and the
whole third level was still there! I don't know how the data for those
levels wasn't erased....can someone explain this?

--
"One of the greatest traits of an experienced person is