Re: Ti-83 or What?????

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti-83 or What?????

I certainly don't think you'll die if you rely on a calc in college.
I'm in calculus III in college now, and I'm missing out on a lot of
stuff since my '85 broke two weeks ago.  Once you learn to do integrals
and derivatives in calc I and II, who wants to do that stuff all by hand
anymore?  As far as I can see, a calculator such as the '85 or '86 is
the BEST tool you can have when you get into advanced mathematics.  I
agree that by using the symbolic on a '92 or '89 may give you an unfair
advantage, but if it's allowed, why wouldn't you want an advantage?  Of
course I agree that you shouldn't just schlep by completely relying on
your calc to do all the work for you, but I think you'd be at a
DISadvantage if you didn't use one.  It's up to the professor to tell
you what you can and cannot use, so I guess you should check before you
bring a TI to some simple class in your freshman year, but I'd be very
surprised if you weren't allowed to bring it to calc and above.  Also, I
recommend the '86 because it has stronger calc and advanced math
functions; more than the statistics based '83.  I've used both (as well
as the '85 extensively), so I think I know what I'm talking about.  I
guess what I'm saying is that you probably shouldn't buy an '83 if you
haven't already.

-Will the Chill