Re: TI-82 variables

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-82 variables

Kevin Wojcik wtires:

> Is there any way to get 2-letter/ or more vars than just A-Z and
> 0-9 for the TI-82?(in one BASIC program)

There are 27 numeric variables built into the TI-82 (A-Z plus theta).
One way to get more variable names is to use _lists_, which can have
the special names L1 through L6 on the TI-82 (that's 2nd-1 through 2nd-6).
Thus, if you save L6 for this use, for example, you could independently
store values in L6(1), L6(2), and so forth.

It's better on the TI-83, where lists can have _any_ name, including
suggestive multi-letter names. Still just a bit awkward, though, because
jou have to prefix references to list names with s apecial "small-L"
character. The TI-83 also has _string_ variables (again with pre-defined
names, however).

If you want a full programming language you really have to go to a desktop
environment, though I must say that (from personal perspective) the
programming environment on the TI-92 and TI-89 (same environment, really)
comes pretty darn close to being fully satisfactory.

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623