Re: HELP Mathamatical Problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP Mathamatical Problem

This can be done by checking the feasibility of a candidate point with the simplex algorithm. Create a matrix

x1 x2 ... xn c
y1 y2 ... yn d
1  1       1 1

where (c,d) is the candidate point. The simplex algorithm will try to find weights for each column which make the vectors sum to (c,d,1). If it can find such weights, then the point is inside. Check a book on operations research for the algorithm -- the part you need can be obtained with only cursory reading.

--
Bob Wheeler --- (Reply to: bwheeler@echip.com)
        ECHIP, Inc.

Hyper wrote:

I am stuck on a mathamatical problem which I hope someone out there
can help me.

I need to write a program on my TI86 which will calculate if a given
point is
within the bounds of a group of other points. Sounds confusing I know
so I will draw
some ASCII art to hopefully clarify the problem.

        (x,y)*--------------(x,y)*
            /                      \
           /                   (x,y)*
          /                        /
         /       (x,y)@      /
        /                        /
       /                        /

 * denotes the "boundary points"
 @ denotes the point in which the program will check if it is within
the "boundary"
   in this example it is.

Now my question is what basic (code) or math (formula) should be used
in order to
solve this problem?

If anyone can help solve this problem I can stop pulling my hair out.

jts@netbistro.com