Re: Programming Challenge

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Programming Challenge

Well there is one true headquarters for the Hp calculators (hpcalc.org) just
ticalc.org. Anyway, isn't it logical to think that since there is more
people using TI calcs than Hp,  alot of  people don't know about ticalc.org
and ti-files and instead visit the regular homepages that comes up when they
do a search for TI related sites? Plus, the site we built was made for the
TI-85 community not the entire TI community. Therefore, there was more
features than at ticalc.org. Back then no screen shots were available for
the TI programs. We developed 24-bit jpeg images for each game on the TI-85!
Next we added descriptions of the program such as game play and sometimes a
brief instruction for it. Also there was forums and chatrooms. Information
on the developer of the program was also too available.

Now ticalc.org has basically did what we have done such as adding screen
shots and information on the program and developer. The TI Archive should do
well, because I have added the site to many different search engines. Around
50 I think. As for the HP site, I have never even got around adding the site
to search engines.

I do not spam people! All that I do is add a signature to posts and e-mails
and people do pay attention to it, because according to my HP site trackers,
about 3/4 of the visitors are coming from the newsgroup and e-mails. So far
16 of the 900 people visiting are from search engines primary Infoseek and
Altavista.
Every single time I post something on this newsgroup related to TI products,
many don't respond or have something nasty to say. It's like the people who
posts on this newsgroup think they rule this newsgroup. That's probably why
ya'll get spam so much. Here at the Hp48 newsgroup, we hardly get spammed,
and the users are much more friendlier in my opinion. That's probably why
many GA Tech students carry around Hp's and not TI...

In Kindest Regards,
Jonathan Chum
_________________
Jonathan Chum
http://hpfx.webjump.com
Hp48 F/X -- "Realities begin here"

Ray Kremer wrote in message ...
>Guess why your TI site "failed".  Everybody goes to ticalc.org or the
>TI-Files for programs and stuff.  Most of the other TI webpages
>are there for the amusement of their owners only.  Advertising?  Like
>anybody pays attention to spam.
>On the other hand, the less popular (admit it) HP calculators don't have
>quite as many websites, so each one gets a larger marketshare (hitshare?).
>Frankly, I'm happy for you that you have a much visited HP calc site, but
>you shouldn't be surprised that your non-unique TI site, one of hundreds
>on the web, was ignored.
>
>>Bias? Bias?
>>I created a site a month ago called the TI Archive
>>(http://tiarchive.ml.org/tiarchive) which listed all the TI-85 programs
ever
>>developed on the TI-85 with screen shots. After much advertising, it was
not
>>a success, because I only got less than 600 hits with half of it coming
from
>>me visiting the site to update the site on a regular basis. Now it is
>>discontinued to the lack of support from TI-85 users. Plus I had 5 guys to
>>help me on it! I have decided to create the site dedicated just to Hp48
game
>>programming which is NOT an archive of all the Hp48 programs. So far I
have
>>gotten about 900 hits. I didn't have the time to update it, so about 25
hits
>>came from myself. Also I have added a tracker to both sites just to see
what
>>parts of the world everyone is coming from and most TI users come from N.
>>America and little from Europe. Hardly any else where as compared to the
>>Hp48 where many are from N. America, half from Europe, and about a sixth
>>from elsewhere. It's kind of sad though.

Follow-Ups: References: