Re: Help with TI-83 program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with TI-83 program

Your program:
(E2+F2)-(2*E*F*cos(A))   -> D
(B2-D2-F2)/(-2*D*F)         ->  U
cos-1(U)                        ->  B

In your program, do you intend that the variables be named E2, F2, B2, and D2.
Variables on the TI-83 are restricted to one letter.
In the case above, the calculator is multiplying E by 2, F by 2,etc.
I suspect that you really want E^2+F^2, etc.
The domain error you are getting is probably due to the last line, cos-1(U)
If it turns out that if U>1 or U<-1 then U is not in the domain of the inverse
cosine function for this calculator.  If you were using a TI-85/86 you would
get the complex result.
The SSA case can result in one positive real solution, two positive real
solutions (the ambiguous case), or no positive real solutions.

In a program the SSA case can be solved by using the quadratic formula to
solve the law of cosines.  By checking the discriminant, you can easily
determine whether there are one, two, or no real positive solutions to the
triangle.
Ben Sultenfuss <bsultenfuss@sfasu.edu>
Stephen F. Austin State University
1936 North Street, PO Box 13040, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-3040
Voice: Office: 409-468-3805   Home: 409-560-5508
Fax: Office: 409-468-1669   Home: 409-560-0038
Office Hours:  Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00-10:30am Central
                       Monday through Thursday: 2:30-4:30pm Central