Re: Finger power?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Finger power?

Ray Kremer wrote:

> Well of course that would work.  However, if I could quote the message that
> started this:
> "Here is a crazy idea for those who want to save batteries.  Your body is a
> salt bridge and conducts a small amount of electricity, right?  Okay, what
> if we created a small device that connects two wires to the sides of your
> pinky finger and boosted the output from your body to 6 volts to power your
> calc?"
> This sounds like he thinks the body is always conducting electricity, which
> is wrong.

No, you are wrong.  The body depends on electrochemical impulses, going on at all
times, to function/live.  This is why it is so important to replace electrolytes
during and after exercise.  The important metals are provided in the food we eat.

> As you say, you would need two metal electrodes.  But even this
> wouldn't "save batteries" because you'd have to replace the electrodes at
> least as often as you would ordinarily replace the AAA cells.

Wrong again.  The electrodes would last probably close to the same amount of time
as do the terminals on a battery (this is an exaggeration, of course, but you get
the idea).  The electrolyte needs to be replaced.

>  So again I
> say, this would be impractical, or at least not any improvement over the
> current system of using batteries that you buy from the store.

Please understand me that I am in no way suggesting that we follow actually jump
ahead into a finger battery project.  I am only saying that we must be very careful
when we make pronouncements about what is or is not possible.  Power systems have
been around for a long time that make use of supplemental input from solar and
other sources.  The outside sources greatly extend the life of the batteries.  And
once the device is made, it requires little to no maintenance.  This is
particularly true of solar cell technology.  I wouldn't want something clipped onto
my pinky while trying to type or anything else, to be sure.  But then again, it
doesn't hurt to dream.  Dreams are free. --D

> Thank you, though, for offering a constructive argument against me instead
> of the alternative.

I always prefer to discuss rather than argue.  Anything I say today will surely be
contradicted or proven wrong tomorrow.  As long as the discussion is well informed,
everyone benefits.  --D

--

Douglas S. Oliver
Department of Anthropology