Re: TI-92: No percent function?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-92: No percent function?

Midnight Wells wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I finally went ahead and purchased a TI-92 on the weekend. A wonderful
> calculator (from the point of view of someone who has yet to push it
> anywhere near its limits) but I am a little disappointed that it
> doesn't have a percent function at all (I understand this is true of
> many/all high-end calculators).

Yes, the more advanced functions you want to cram into a calculator the
more basic ones you'll have to skip.

> I know I can write my own function to provide basic percent
> operations, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible
> to write a function that provides the whole functionality of percent
> operations.

Calling the function would require more keystrokes than doing the math
manually.

> ie I know it is possible to write a function that performs:
>
> 100*pt(36) = 36

100*.36 = 36

> However, what I'd like to know is, is it possible to write a function
> that also performs:
>
> 100 + pt(36) = 136

100*1.36 = 136

> Also:
>
> 100 - pt(36) = 64

100*(100-36) = 64

> Or:
>
> 26 * (100 - pt(36)) + 12= 1676

26 * (100-36) + 12 = 1676

> and so on.
>
> If the above is possible, any practical code would be appreciated (I
> have yet to even begin coming to terms with writing TI-92 functions).
[...]

The percentage function holds little meaning with an interface such as
the TI-92's ... As soon as you use longer expressions the TI-92 will not
know what part to tie the percentage function to.
The TI-92 interface is based on regular mathematical expressions thus
ruling out a meaningful use of the percentage function.

HTH. HAND.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
What boots up must come down.