Re: Why use a high end calculator at all?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why use a high end calculator at all?

I'd say a PC with Excel 5 would be a VERY high end calculator.

At 01:15 AM 6/9/98 GMT, Midnight Wells wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am contemplating pursuing a degree in
>Statistics. I work in a very large organisation and I produce regular
>reports on the performance of a segment of our employees using
>measurable criteria.
>
>In these reports I include *very* basic stats information: ie Average,
>Standard Deviation, Median etc (told you it was basic).
>
>I am interested in upgrading my skills to provide more sophisticated
>analysis of the information I receive.
>
>Now that the preamble is over, my question is: why do people use
>high-end calculators, such as the various TI models discussed in this
>forum?
>
>I use Excel Ver 5 to produce my reports: are there many *practical*
>statistical functions that are not available natively in a package
>like Excel?
>
>I use the word 'practical' to imply statistical information that would
>be useful in presentation to managers, many of whom do not have a
>statistical background.
>
>I ask because I will almost certainly need a good calculator for my
>future studies, but I want to know if I should 'invest in the best,'
>whatever that may be, or search for something that does most of what
>I'm looking for without attempting to be comprehensive. In other
>words, will a good calculator also have a work benefit, aside from
>study?
>
>Sorry about the meandering questions above.
>
>Any responses appreciated.
>
>Best regards to all,
>
>Midnight.

What is there to say about silence?
Welcome to the U.S.S. Crew
-- http://www.jeffb.home.ml.org/
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/1149/
ICQ UIN (if you have ICQ)        -- 2097846
ICQ E-mail Express (if you dont) -- mailto:2097846@wwp.mirabilis.com