Re: Why use a high end calculator at all?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why use a high end calculator at all?

Beware statistics means different things to different people. When you say
you are
"contemplating pursuing a degree in Statistics" to most colleges and
universities with
statistics departments or programs they may think you mean Mathematical
Statistics.
Mathematical Statistics in brief is the theory behind all those formulas
and procedures
that users work with but often have little or no idea as to why they work.
Mathematical Statistics requires a good mathematical background, which
includes calculus and some linear algebra and in some cases differential
equation theory. It seems from your job description you may be more
interested in the applications of  statistics not in the theory of
statistics. Statistics is a great communications tool. We call that
Descriptive  Statistics. Typically Descriptive Statistics is not a topic
included in Mathematical Statistics courses. Choose your school wisely.

I use Minitab and a TI-86 with the advanced stats programs provided by TI.

Good Luck

Gary Wardall