list sorting

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

list sorting

> << Can a list be sorted in by more than one list?  I have names in L1 and data
> in L2.  If I sort L2 can I keep the data in L1 to match L2?  I am using the 83
>   >>

> How do you store NAMEs in a list?  I can imagine a list to tell me where a
> name is in a string, but ...
>
> Also: what does "sorting in" mean?
>
> Even if both lists have numbers, is there a non-programming to get L2 to
> "follow along" with a sort on L2?

"Following Along" is basically it. Take for example my name stored
into L1. JODY would become {10,15,4,25}->L1. Now say that I have a L2
that looks like this; {1,2,3,4}->L2. If I want sort my name in
ascending order, 4,10,15,25, then L2 can be made to "follow along".
In this case the 4 (3rd element) would become the 1st element in my
name, so the first element of L2 would become the 3. The command is
just;
:SortA([the list you want to sort in ascending order] , [another list
that you want to sort in the same way as the one in ascending order] ,
[another one sorted the same way as the first] , ...)

Jody Snider
jody1@alaska.net