Re: ROM dump?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ROM dump?

John Malluck wrote:

> Modem Boy wrote:
>
> > I myself do not totally understand the "rom dump" idea.
> >
> > -(:P Modem Boy d:)-
> > -(:P -=TI-86=- d:)-
>
>   The rom is the set of instructions burnt into a chip on you calculator. It
holds all the information the calc uses to operate (Ti-os and all the math,
graph, stat, ect. funtions). The rom is read-only-memory: It can only be read
and not modified. There is no way to dirctly change the rom on your calculator
but
> several suggestions have been made.
> 1. write a asm program that will replace the fault rom command.
>     This will work until the memory is reset and may slow down the calc in
overall performance.
> 2. Piggyback your rom
>     This involves burning a new rom chip and soldering over the other the old
rom chip in a piggyback fasion. This would be more perminate (you wouldn't lose
your fixed up rom if the batteries went dead), but you would need some kind of
swiching device to go between the two roms, or make so that only an asm
> program can acess the new chip. Either way a pain
> 3. Return you calculator to the store and buy a new calc.
>     By far the easyest
>
> The reason people make a rom dump, a complete copy of the Os, is to run
emulators on thier computers or to decompile the rom to search for undocumented
commands. I think the emulator is a neat idea. I have one for my ti-86 and
ti-85. It allows me to run any of my Ti-85/86 programs on my computer. I hope
this
> clears up the whole "rom dump" idea.
>                     -Michael

It sorta does. I'm wondering, people have say an older version of rom on
their calc... are they deprived? lacking anything? I've seen some
problems arise with the 86, regarding rom v. 1.3. My friend's sister has
1.3, and some transfer doesn't work well, nor does some of the programs.
What's different between 1.2 and 1.3? I... haven't seen squat. :p

-(:P Modem Boy d:)-
-(:P -=TI-86=- d:)-

MMM... I like my spam on two slices of white bread.

signtel1@juno.com, replies98@hotmail.com, removeshare@yahoo.com
signtel1@juno.com, replies98@hotmail.com, removeshare@yahoo.com

Follow-Ups: References: