Re: graphing inverse trig functions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Joseph <johannas@GEOCITIES.COM>  writes:

> I think that y=arccsc x would be written as y=1/(sin^-1 x).
        --------------------- snip ---------------------------

The fact that there just plain is no good, standard, agreed-on
notation for the inverse of a function leads to most of the
confusion evident about this topic.  Throwing in reciprocal
functions such as  cosecant  just makes things worse!

The best way to develop an implementable (on the calculator)
equivalent form of a function like arccsc is to first turn the expression
around, getting  x = csc y .  Therefore,  x = 1 / sin y .  Therefore,
sin y = 1 / x .  Therefore,  y = arcsin( 1 / x ) .  This is the expression
you want.  This could be entered easily into a TI-8x calculator by
using first 2nd - sin (to get the arcsine), then x, and finally the
reciprocal key -- parentheses should not be needed.

          RWW Taylor
          National Technical Institute for the Deaf
          Rochester Institute of Technology
          Rochester NY 14623