equation of an ellipse in rectangular form?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

equation of an ellipse in rectangular form?

Just to be convenient, let @ represent the Greek letter theta...

When using polar coordinates, the polar equation of the an elliptical
orbit can be written in the form

                                      a(1-e^2)
                              r  =  ___________
                                      1-e cos @

          a = semimajor axis of orbit in AU  (in my case, 1.5237)
          e = eccentricity   (in my case, 0.09337)

How would I write this in the rectangular form

                            x^2          y^2
                            a^2          b^2

with major vertices at (plus or minus a, 0), c = ae, and b^2 = a^2 - c^2
?

Would      ( x^2 / 1.5237^2 )  +  (y^2 / 1.517^2 )      be sufficient?

Also, when graphing the rectangular equation, do I graph it as a
function?

Thank you!

Please reply to pickle@bellatlantic.net