Re: Factorials on the 86

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Factorials on the 86

Williams, Matt wrote:

> It's kind of like having a computer with 32MB of RAM vs a computer
> with
> 128MB of RAM trying to run something.  The amount of memory available
> on
> the calculator has a high correlation to the speed of the calculator.
> Just for kicks, try a TI-85 with nothing on it vs a TI-86 that is
> completely full and see which one is faster.
> --
>
>         -iceboxman
> TI-CALC Discoveries
> http://ticd.home.ml.org
> or
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/4152/index.html
>
> iceboxman@geocities.com

According to TI, the 86 is slower than the 85 due to RAM page swapping
(there's 4 times the memory there to swap).  The reason the 86 will do
factorials faster is because it uses a different method of calculating
them.  It uses a simple equation (86), rather than multiplying the
factors together separately (85) as you would do by hand.  This also
allows the use of non-whole numbers to calculate factorials (gamma
function).  I am not trying to start another discussion, I'm just
pointing out what I've read from TI.

-Jeremy