Re: ROM dump legal?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ROM dump legal?

At 06:54 AM 2/7/98 GMT, you wrote:
>In article <v02110104b100346410ab@[206.149.127.65]>, Grant Stockly
><gussie@ALASKA.NET> wrote:
>>>providing I design my own routines and leave TI's ROM alone or would TI
>>>think I was copying their ROM when in reality I wouldn't be?  What other
>>>problems could arise (programming or legal)?
>>
>>If you can proove that you rewrote it, and they take you to court, they
>>don't have a chance...
>
>Blech, that is so wrong.  If you use any knoledge of any part of TI's code in
>the prosess of making your own Rom, it is illegal.  The only way to ensure
>that you do not use any part of their code is to have some people who
>dissasemble the rom and write down what it accompishes, and then have another
>group turns that back into a completely original Rom.

What if I just designed my own routines using internal code and loading a
set of jump/function pointer tables into memory which would take each call
and route it through the table and into an internal C function that I
wrote.  There is NO ROM duplication and I would completely avoid all legal
entanglements as Grant Stockly said (I would also win any court case that
came up).

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

  Spam-Fighter code is:  14806560   (New technique to fighting spam)
  Enter "Spam-Fighter:  XXXXXXXX" in the body of a personal message
  to thruska@tir.com.  Otherwise the message will be filtered as spam.