Re: TI 92 Errors

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI 92 Errors

GARY WARDALL wrote:

> Sorry, but it is by mathemcatical convention that
> -2^2  is -4  not 4. The TI-92 is correct on this one.
> -2^2 does not mean (-2)*(-2)  it means -(2*2).
> The TI-92 is in error on 0^0, however, when it gives 1.

Not entirely correct. It is an accepted limitation of the computational
device, rather than a direct error.
When you enter it, your TI-92 writes: "Warning: 0^0 replaced by 1".
This is because there are certain differences that allow you to argue
both for and against the result.
Take a look at the FAQ, it is quite interesting (mathematically):
http://www.ti.com/calc/docs/faq/92faq001.htm
TI has given some reasons for their choice there.

[snip]

(Joao Diogo, sorry for the double-letter, I thought I had replied to the
list)

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
man: Why did you get a divorce?