Re: TI 92 Errors

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI 92 Errors

John_Archer@nowhere.com wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced any calculation errors with the TI-92?

Not any that I couldn't find a sound explanation for :-)
Well...actually, come to think of it, I _did_ experience some
difficulties with and vs. or, but I have yet to find out if it was me
that misunderstood something :-)

> I entered -28 raised to the 2d power and got -784.  Now anybody knows
> that a negative number multiplied by a negative number is a positive
> number.  On my wife's TI business calculator the same operation came
> out correct.  If I entered -28 x -28 the answer came out correct
> (784).

This is due to the fact that Exponentation (^) has a higher priority
than Negation (-). Thus, your expression will be interpreted as -(28^2)
rather then (-28)^2, the latter being what you should type to get your
desired result.
This change was made in the step between the TI-68 and the TI-8x series
(IIRC) (much to the confusion of former TI-68 users, such as myself :-)
The interpretation given by your TI-92 is the mathematically correct
one, as opposed to earlier.
The EOS (Equation Operating System) Hierarchy is on page 492 of your
manual.

Sincerely,

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen