Re: assembly as easy as basic: is it possible???????

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: assembly as easy as basic: is it possible???????

>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:44:21 -0700 Sumit <sumit-1@ROCKETMAIL.COM> writes:
>>OK, this question popped in my head right now.  Since, TI calculators
>>compile the basic program and convert it to HEX code, can people not
>>actually get the compiled code and run it directly as ASM?
>>For Example:
>>TI-BASIC EDITOR ----> Compile ----> HEX CODE
>>
>>and
>>
>>ASSEMBLY is already HEX CODE right, and i was wondering if it was
>>possible to write BASIC program on computer, compile it on computer
>>and then send just the HEX CODE to calculator and run it as ASM.  In
>>another word, you make program as you do in TI-BASIC and then convert
>>it to ASM.

The TI Calculators do not really compile the Basic programs, what they do is
the same thing most implementations of Basic have always done, they convert
the keywords and other things into a smaller, faster to interpret code. It
is possible to write a program that would actually compile TI-Basic into
machine-code and as another person posted, there is a project to do that.

Also, I don't know why TI says that they convert Assembly and Basic into
Hexadecimal, since in fact both are converted into binary representations.
The Basic programs are converted into a form which a program on the calc
understands how to execute as a Basic program, and the ASM programs are
stored as data that is directly understood by the microprocessor.

;SmokeSerpent+
--
SmokeSerpent@psnw.com