Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

In article <6ri48g$k1u@news.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>,
"Stefan Wolfrum" <wolfrum@cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:

> why does one big calculator company think there is a big market,
> lets make lots of calculators for the people while the
> other big company thinks there's no market, let's make
> other things but no calculators?!

> Is there a market for electronic pocket calculators or not?

  Remember "Panasonic" brand calculators?

  Yes, they did make some -- I had a nice folding model,
  light-powered, and it was very good: didn't fade out
  in three seconds when someone walked by; in fact,
  it took about a half minute of total darkness
  to get it to forget its last result.
  Extremely clear LCD display, as well.

  So, where are they now?   Where'd the Sharp graphic calcs go?

  And where are all of Microsoft's smaller, original competitors?

  Did they decide there was no market for software?

  Whatever happened to the original GUI developers (Xerox!)

Individuals choose different careers, and so do companies;
they also compete -- some win, some lose; sometimes even
the "superior" product loses, for other reasons.

The saga of the two shoe company executives, each traveling
to equatorial, undeveloped nations:

  #1  "No market at all -- they don't wear shoes here"

  #2  "Enormous potential -- millions shoeless!"

With best wishes from:   John H Meyers   <jhmeyers@mum.edu>