Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 06:53 PM 08/19/98 -0700, James wrote:
>I bought a TI-85 four years ago.  A year and a half ago, about 10 or so
>rows of pixels from the middle of the screen suddenly went dead. (BTW,
>does anybody have any idea why something like this would happen?
>Occasionally a few rows might flicker back on, so they're not completely
>disconnected... anyway...) The calculator was still useable, of course,

This is a simple problem, with almost no complete solution.  The 'cable'
that connects the board/processor to the display has a bunch of little tiny
wires in it.  The little wires for those particular rows have become
disconnected INSIDE the glass plate around the lcd.  You can usually get 1
or 2 lines back by applying excessive pressure to the case (downwards if it
is sitting flat with the front up) next to the ends of the rows that are
missing.  If I am correct in my diagnosis, then if you completely (well,
>90%) fill up a column, the pixels for that column should turn on even in
the 'dead' rows.  The only partial solution that I have found for this
problem is to place something hard under the edge of the glass plate where
the connections are broken so that the case itself is applying constant
pressure.  This got me back 2 of the 9 lines I lost, and I can get another
1 if I press on the sides really hard.

--
Bill Risher        Sparr      UIN:1952775    ._, . . .
Lorenai #44        Makra      FON:9316484164 |_) o | |