Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ken R. wrote:

> Personaly i think the hp calcs require too much learning I bought a HP
> calc the day before this big test i opened it and it made no scence at
> all i tried to learn how to do the stuff on the calc i couldnt figure it
> out

[hoping this is the end of that sentence]

        So basically, you spent money on an extremely complex piece of
equipment "just before the big test" (no doubt hoping it would do all
the work for you, I bet), expecting to be able to use it out-of-box
without once having to glance at the manual.  Gee, that makes sense.

        Personally, if I buy something that I plan to rely on for something as
important as my grades, I buy WELL in advance of any exam, OR I don't
use it on exams until I know I'm comfortable with it and it does exactly
what I need it to do.  That goes with TI -or- HP products, or anything
else that does something as important.

> my friend had bought a TI-82 it worked wondefuly he knew how to
> solve the problems easily  now i am the proud owner of a TI-83 and soon
> to be proud owner of a TI-89 and i sold the HP to a pawn shop for more
> than it was worth $20

        Hell, I would've paid $50 for it, and I'm sure I could have found
someone else to buy it from me for $100.  But of course, these buyers
read manuals, and are looking for something that does more than belt out
quick answers that save you from having to think.

        I personally own an HP48 and a TI-92, and both serve me well.  And I
think that the whole idea of comparing the two and determining which is
better is ridiculous.  Each has their own strengths and weaknesses, and
if I lost either one, well, I could still get my work done, but I'd
definitely feel the loss.

        Nonetheless, I'm glad you found a nice, easy crutch to rely on in those
big exams.  =)  IMO, that's not what these calculators are meant for,
but oh well...