Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:21:08 -0500, Richard Goedeken
<goedeken@us.ibm.com.spam.sux> wrote:
>Not to start a war, but HP calcs suck bigtime.

Yes, let's keep this civil.  ;-)

>such as
>unit conversion or polynomial factoring were MUCH slower and more
>difficult

I have an old HP48SX, with a "POLY" library installed.  To factor any
non-symbolic polynomial, I just enter a list which contains the
coefficients, ie, to solve x^2 + 2x+ 1 = 0, I use

1: { 1 2 1 }
ROOTS, which returns
1: {{ -1 -1 }}

this is very fast!

>it has redeeming qualities such as WYSIWYG display and symbolic calc.

Does WYSIWYG make sense for a calc?    The only times I use it on
the '48 is when I'm using a function I don't remember the parameter
order for (sum, integral).

Symbolic manipulations are very useful, indeed, but I think the power
of Maple is the minimum needed for them to be useful.   How does the TI
compare?

Of course, I like UNIX and CLI's, not Windows and GUI's.

-z

--
# Zak Smith        smithz@cae.wisc.edu (pgp)    http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~smithz
# Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison MSEE Student.   Geek.   "UNIX - it sucks less."

Follow-Ups: References: