y1(x) notation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

y1(x) notation

I suppose I'm the last one to have noticed this about the TI-86's.

On the TI-86

4->x                    [ENTER]
                                                4
y1=x^2          [ENTER]
                                                Done
y1(5)                   [ENTER]
                                                25

On the TI-85

4->x                    [ENTER]
                                                4
y1=x^2          [ENTER]
                                                Done
y1(5)                   [ENTER]
                                                80

I was not aware that one could use functional notation on the TI-86.
So far I see that using functional notation for y1,y2,... ; r1,r2,...; and
xt1,yt1,....
seems to work ok.  The only restriction I have found so far is the arguments of
these functions used in this way must be real or lists of reals. No complex,
no vector, and no matrix arguments.

I have looked through the TI-86 Graphing Calculator Handbook and
can't find any mention of this.

I can see many uses of this functionality.

Does anyone have more information about the use
of functional notation on the TI-86?

Thank You

Gary Wardall
wardall@uwgb.edu